planetWayne.com - Forums
Rants and Raves and Generally Anything
Need help with Broadvoice hookup, Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Help Me Out With These Bits...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckd
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Need help with Broadvoice hookup, Please! Reply with quote

I can follow all the instructions, but then it tells me /etc/hosts and I have no /etc/hosts. I have a /etc/host is that where they mean?
Then they say to Ping the following hosts and select for the best time:

proxy.lax.broadvoice.com is the best for me. Then it says to do a dnslookup by running nslookup on the hostname.
I must have done that because I wrote some IP down.

Next it says Modifying /etc/hosts
Using the IP Address you received form nslookup add a line like this to /etc/hosts:
{ip} sip.broadvoice.com

Insert the IP appropriately

Please help me! Embarassed
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya!
Kinda sounds like your almost there.
I guest that the 'etc/host' file is the one you need. If you look at it, there should be a list of IP addresses against names - you may well find one in there for
Code:
127.0.0.1     localhost
for example.

What you need to do is add another line that has the IP address from the speed test you have done (pings) and sip.broadvoice.com on it.

so, you should have something like this (including my example above)
Code:

127.0.0.1            localhost
147.135.8.128        sip.broadvoice.com

What they are basically saying is that for the rest of the examples you have you can use sip.broadvoice.com instead of proxy.lax.broadvoice.com (which is longer!) - Also if you find that one of the other servers are faster at a later date, then you can just edit the etc\host file again and change the ip address. Saves having to go through and change the rest of your configs.

Hope this is a bit clearer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Help Me Out With These Bits... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: