planetWayne.com - Forums
Rants and Raves and Generally Anything
Yet another newbie question (softphone->pbx, ivr testing)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zvalgas
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Yet another newbie question (softphone->pbx, ivr testing) Reply with quote

Hello,

after reading that you had linux+pbx installed on virtual PC and
x-lite softphone on windows and got them to communicate I got
very impressed and curious. Maybe you can share how you did so?
How I configure softphone to call into mine linux pbx(asterisk)
and how configure pbx(and or linux) for it? Do I still need any specific hardware? Do I need softphone connect somewhere on internet else first or it can connect into mine PBX directly?

Mine problem is, and maybe you can suggest some advises:
1) I have installed Asterisk under Debian Linux that runs on Virtual PC;
2) now I dont have yet any hardware to plug real phone line, but want to test how Asterisk IVR is working;

So probably softphone->asterisk->softphone is what I need, just question is how to make damn things to work Smile
Well... maybe there are some way to test pbx ivr without hardware and softphones? But I haven't found any advises around.... Sad

Thanks

zvalgas
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Thanks for dropping by! Its been a while since I played with virtual PC so the memory's a little flakey!

From what I can remember - you need to let your virtual PC be able to access your LAN and Internet (especially if you want to try the 'demo' calls within Asterisk).
You need your virtual PC to have its own IP address. (I think its called Bridge mode). Check within the Virtual PC's where you set up what hardware it can see - the network card being the one in question.

Then within Linux, make sure you have an IP address that exists on your LAN and has correct settings for Default Gateway and DNS servers etc.

When you have this set, and have the virtual PC running, you should be able to 'ping' from your windows box to the virtual pc's ip address.

You then need to edit your SIP.conf file and create a device/user for your soft-phone to connect to. Match this up with the account settings in the soft-phone itself (that is running on your 'real' PC) and (hopefully) away you go.

Then when you dial exten 500 and have the demo 'extentions.conf' file set up, you should be able to follow the demo and test call out to Digium.

If you can see the virtual pc screen as you do it - you will see it go through making connections out etc and playing back the demo sound files.

You don't need any special hardware to make * actually run, although I think when you 'make' it you need a ztdummy driver as there is not going to be an actual line card in your virtual PC.

Hope this helps (even if it seems a little sketchy Smile )
Wayne.
zvalgas
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for answer, been bit busy. now going to try this out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> VoIP All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: