planetWayne.com - Forums
Rants and Raves and Generally Anything
RingRingRing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Blogger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: RingRingRing! Reply with quote

wav Well... where to start!
Recently managed to get some Cisco 7960 phones to play with. Not much use on their own as its all Voice over IP stuff so it definitely wont plug up to your phone line. But... start to hook them up to a pbx - and you can start to cook!. The pbx is a linux pc running Asterisk - which, if you looked at the link, is open source.
As it stands at the moment I've got two phones - one in the bedroom and one down in the kitchen with the pbx-pc connected to the lan and, via a line card, to my normal analogue line.

So... now we have phones that can call each other, make outside calls, CONNECT OVER THE INTERNET FOR FREE Dancing, oh didnt I mention that Laughing.
One of the big benefits of this thing is the ability to call other IP phones without using your normal analogue line - totally separate - excellent quality, and at NO EXTRA CHARGE!.

AND when you start pulling in things like BT's online directory enquiries that you can use right off the phone, things start getting quite powerful!

MORE TOYS!
Yep! more toys - also got hold of a Slimp3 player from a friend (well bit of a trade really) - which is real cool, can now stream music from my pc, over lan, straight into the HiFi (has a remote control and everything!). This is another open source device and all its control software is there to be played with.

Tie them Together!
Well - after playing with Asterisk for a bit - and now my Slimp3 player, I finely managed to get a script running that displays the Caller ID of incoming phone calls on the Slimp3 Screen!. Not bad going for a couple of hours playing with perl!

Off to play some more! ...Laughing

ps. Ive got some new smilies for the Forums too laughing6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Blogger All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: