planetWayne.com - Forums
Rants and Raves and Generally Anything
NTL - Going Going - Where are we going...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The New NTL UAP
Good Idea?
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Bad Idea?
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: NTL - Going Going - Where are we going... Reply with quote

With light of the new usage policy ( start from here - http://www.nthellworld.com/article/?action=show&id=334 ) what do you think - starting down a rocky road? I can see that port blocks will be the next and real restrictions on what you can do! Although I am not a heavy use of the internet having an always on connection is a real god send. Even from being able to set up VPN and diagnostic work from home, I realy need a method of connection that wont be butcherd or 'faffed' with... Wonder what they say to that?
mediafinder2
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NTL - Going Going - Where are we going... Reply with quote

planetWayne wrote:
I can see that port blocks will be the next and real restrictions on what you can do!

Have you tried runnung shoutcast latly?
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant say that I have - was looking at getting planetRadio up again for xmas tho Smile
mediafinder2
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem ok again now, but I was finding ports blocked from NTL's end and unable to connect with shoutcast.
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you run your own server and broadcast from that? or do you send the stream out to a hosted server with higher bandwidth?

Have never found somone cheap enough (ok free) that will take my feed Sad

oh well

Wayne.
mediafinder2
planetFreshman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my own server, I havent found a free server that is hosted, but I need a better pc with all that is running on mine I have trouble doing anything, I run SAM2 and this is my auto DJ and also accepts requests and so on, but after 10 minuets everything just locks up so not only do I manage to broadcast at crap speeds and quality, I crash my own pc at the same time.
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry its taken a while to reply! Embarassed

Have you seen the my 'server' - runs my email / web and radio (over xmas anyways) and yes thats a 10" monitor. My bigest problem is bandwidth being eaten up - any more than about 5 listeners and things crawl (try playing UrT when your maxed out!)

This is a shuttle box running an 800mhz Via Processor - got it all from KustomPC's, dont have any problems with it playing up - runs w2k server - apache - mysqp - php and email server (oh and this, phpBB - which needs sql / php and apache to run) I did have a psu go on it (power cut - wouldnt restart!) but other than that - I try and keep it patched to the hilt and it just runs. Its not the fastest box ever created but it rarely (if ever) gets maxed out.

Admitedly thats ALL it runs - we have two other pcs attached - kids and mine. These run the games etc - the server just sits there in a cupboard and does its thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: