planetWayne.com - Forums
Rants and Raves and Generally Anything
Wireless connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Help Me Out With These Bits...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatWhiteBear
planetDude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Wireless connections Reply with quote

From secondary bedroom i have an ADSL line (BT fitted) with wall socket, i need to get a connection to my new study room next door Idea

Do i:-

A) Use the cable which comes with the new ADSL Router/Modem to connect through the wall from the existing socket to the new bedroom/study room and have wireless on PC and Laptop Question

B) Keep the new ADSL router in my current bedroom and then have a wireless connection for me and dads computers/laptops through to it Question

C) Take the new Router through the wall, have an RJ45 connection from my PC to the router and then wireless to my dads laptop downstairs Question

Help and advice on doing this would be appreciated.
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Mmmm need more info... Reply with quote

1st off - if i am reading this right, your adsl will only do one or the other. either USB or Ethernet so you are going to have a problem there... Also you will only get one IP addy from your ISP anyways Crying or Very sad

therefor - the best way would be to get some sort or router. with that you can then connect as many devices as you can route on your little lan...

How you connect these in depends on 1/ how much money 2/ speed of connection 3/ running cables...

if you have a few quid to spend then wireless is nice - you dont need to lay wires and you can add more when you need to... you will suffer from a max speed of 11mb though (lans these days are 100mb)

if, on the other hand, you want speed, you will need to lay some cables and hard wire the pcs back into your router / hub (these things have more than 1 port normal) the big draw back with that is how do you surf in the garden or downstairs without a cable...

you could do both! (the Vigor routers have a 4 port 100mb switch as well as WiFi!)

waddya wanna do ?
GreatWhiteBear
planetDude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Home Networking Reply with quote

I can get me a network cable from my computer with a 10/100 NIC to the back of the Router no problem. The router also comes with a built in WiFi channel which supports a wireless connection from my dads laptop downstairs. My PC will be the one which relies on speed, and my dads will just be for standard ADSL / Internet connection.

He can then use my printers unless i go wireless with that, but thats another £80 Crying or Very sad so standard connection will have to do for the time being Smile

How secure would the wireless connection be? Could all and sundry outside patch into my mini set-up Question

Idea Does it come with it's own encryption package?

The router itself is secure and supports NAT and DHCP with it's little DMZ built in. Running a machine from home won't be a problem, but i would like to get the mini network up and running first. Is this automatic or is more config work needed.
planetWayne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cableing is no issue run with that then...

as for WiFi securty... You should make sure you have WEP (wireless encription (?) protocol) at 128bit. Thats as good as it gets at the mo (if you want REAL security then you would run a firewall and a VPN over the link - but in this case its a bit daft! Very Happy )

You set this up on your pc and on the WiFi access point (router or what has it...) then all traffic across the link is encrypted. This is at 128 bits, its not as strong as 3DES (firewall vpn type) but its enough to stop most...

Hopefully you will be able to disable the WiFi station ID from being broadcast. This stops your base station from announcing itself to all and sundry... you will have a bit more work to do on the remote devices to tell it that the base station exists as it wont just 'see' it - but thats the price for a bit more security...

As for the mini network - that should be 'out of the box' the router uses DHCP to give out IP's I would assume you can set statics (or not use DHCP at all) to give 'servers' IP addresses and use Port Forwarding to get to web servers etc...

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    planetWayne.com - Forums Forum Index -> Help Me Out With These Bits... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: